I love breakfast foods but when it comes to making breakfast, I rather stay in my warm, cozy bed until my back tells me to get out of bed. Usually my husband takes over the breakfast-making duty on the weekends since I make him breakfast and lunch during the week. For me, it’s a win-win situation. The weekend is my time to sleep in so the last thing I want to do is to wake up early and start cooking in the kitchen. No way, not me. Give me my coffee and let me be for a couple of hours. Is that so bad?
My newest secret (not-so-secret now) addiction is reading food blogs. I’m a food blog addict. I have over 75 food blogs that I read every week. Sometimes I copy recipes that I think will be perfect for us and sometimes I just wipe the drool off the keyboard from the magnificent photos that seem to almost look so real. Ok, ok, I’m exaggerating with the drool but my mouth waters just from the pictures alone.
A few days ago, I saw a tweet from the Recipe Girl and saw that she posted a cinnamon roll pancake recipe. You know I had to take a look and see. The photos were to die for and the recipe seemed relatively easy to make so I told my kids that I was making “Special Pancakes” on Saturday morning. I made sure I had all the ingredients the night before and that is exactly what I made this morning.
Although I stated the recipe is easy to make, I do have to admit that it took me over an hour to measure and prep everything because I am not a morning person, especially when I’m doing things without my morning java. Once I was done with preparing everything, I made the pancakes. My husband and kids loved how I added the cinnamon swirl on top of the pancakes. They thought it was the coolest thing. Yea, I’m including my husband. You know how men are.
The verdict: Everyone LOVED them. My kids said it was the best tasting pancake they ever had and my husband said it tasted like a dessert. As for me, the pancakes were amazingly good but with all that butter, I know it’s meant for a special occasion so it will be a long time before I make these again and until then, I’ll be drooling just thinking about them.
Please excuse my photography and pancake skills. To see beautiful shots, check out Recipe Girl.
CINNAMON ROLL PANCAKES
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
CREAM CHEESE GLAZE:
4 Tablespoons butter
2 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Prepare pancake batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk in milk, oil and egg, just until batter is moistened (a few small lumps are fine).
2. In a medium bowl, mix butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Scoop the filling into a small zip baggie and set aside.
3. In a medium, microwave-safe bowl- heat butter and cream cheese until melted. Whisk together until smooth; whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
4. Heat large skillet over medium-low heat. Spray with nonstick spray. Scoop about 3/4 cup batter onto the skillet. Snip the corner of your baggie of filling and squeeze a spiral of the filling onto the top of the pancake. When bubbles begin to appear on the surface, flip carefully with a thin spatula, and cook until browned on the underside, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a baking sheet or platter and keep in a warm oven until ready to serve.
5. When ready to serve, spoon warmed glaze onto the top of each pancake.
Recipe makes roughly 4 cinnamon roll pancakes.
A HUGE thanks to the Recipe Girl. I am now my family’s hero for making such delicious pancakes. Oh and don’t forget to visit her site. Her photos are amazing. It puts my food photos to shame for sure! lol
For more Sabroso (tasty) Saturday recipes, be sure to visit Latina on a Mission for the weekly blog hop.