Easy Recipe: Puerto Rican-Styled Pepper Steak

Thank goodness the holidays are over and done with.  Aren’t you glad? I’m so over Christmas, the tree, the lights, the food (well almost) and all the gifts.  All the hoopla is now gone from my system.  Now it’s time to concentrate on something I haven’t done in a few weeks and that is to post my succulent recipes. I know you all have been waiting. ;)

Last night I made one of my family’s favorite dish — Puerto Rican-Styled Pepper Steak.  It’s an easy recipe that I created with the help of my mom’s expertise in steaks.  This recipe is not a “real” recipe because I never sat down to write down the ingredients/instructions step by step, I took the “Willy-Nilly” approach just like Carolyn from “Willy-Nilly” is generally how I cook too.

Puerto Rican-Styled Pepper Steak

Here’s what you need:

– A Large Pot
– 2 Pounds of Cubed Steak – Cut each steak in half (same steak you would use for chicken fried steak)
– 1 small green pepper (sliced)
– 1 small yellow onion (sliced)
– 4 garlic cloves (grated)
– two tablespoons of sofrito
– two tablespoons of olive oil
– 1 small can of tomato sauce
– Water (about 6-8 cups)
– 3 potatoes (cut in four pieces) [This will help thicken the steak sauce]
Seasonings: 1 packet each of Sazon Goya with Culantro & Achoite & ham flavored concentrate, adobo, cumin, garlic and onion powder, 2 bay leaves, oregano and black pepper. (I don’t measure any of the seasonings — I just add to taste so I can’t really tell you how much seasoning I actually add onto the dish)

Instructions:

First, take your pot and heat it on medium heat. Add your olive oil then add your sofrito and saute.

After a few minutes, add the sliced pepper and onions and saute for a few minutes.

After you saute the onions & peppers add tomato sauce and your seasonings.  Mix that around and then add your steaks on top of the mixture.

Add the grated  garlic on top of the steaks and then add water.  After the water, throw in your potatoes. Give it one last mix and cover.

This will cook for about 1 hour – 1-1/2 hours.

[Note: I apologize for not adding a photo of the completed dish in the pot. When it was done, I was too starving so I forgot. lol]

You may have to add more water after 40 minutes or so.  I always tend to add more so have a cup of water handy. This dish is typically served alongside some yummy arroz con gandules (rice and pigeon peas) like you see below (minus the bay leaf that is attached to a piece of steak, lol).

Happy Cooking! Buen Provecho!

For more Sabroso (Tasty) Saturday recipes, be sure to check out Latina on a mission’s weekly blog hop!

Signature

Comments

1. Carolyn G says:

OMG Willy Nilly cooking at its best! Love the step by step instructions. This recipe is so easy that even I can make it and this looks really really delicious! This is also one of these recipes that screams for willynillyness because you can probably add more ingredients and spices and it will still be delish!!

2. OfeliaNJ says:

Wow, the tomato sauce transforms the vegetables. Made my
    mouth water! I especially like the potatoes in the sauce.
    OfeliaNJ recently posted..Spicy Chicken and Mashed Potatoes – Sabroso Saturday

3. Andrea says:

My mom used to make pepper steak when we were growing up. Not quite like this, but I am sure that the smells around the house would remind me of that cooking!
    Andrea recently posted..Reading with Redneck in 2011!

4. wowww Perfect for this winter weather!!! I think I’ll leave the computer right now and head to the kitchen!!! Espero tener todos los ingredientes ….Thank you ;)

5. LOVE the pictures and easy how-to-steps for this recipe!
    Que rico. Thanks for sharing.
    Joscelyn @MamiofMultiples.com recently posted..Easy Recipe- Slow Cooker Beef Stew

• Lisa says:

Thank you. While I was cooking and taking pictures, my kids were laughing at me. I had to threaten by saying you keep laughing, you won’t be eating! LOL

6. Catalina says:

YUM!!! I’ve never had steak prepared this way before. It sounds savory & it looks scrumptious! I just may whip it up for my family today. Gracias!
    Catalina recently posted..Tamales Caseros- Sabroso Saturday

7. isaida says:

I make something like this, but with chicken and potatos on
    white rice. Have to try your steak recipe. Looks good!
    isaida recently posted..2011

8. Melinda says:

we always had this with white rice for some reason. it’s looks so good, it’s been a long time since I’ve had it
    Melinda recently posted..Dad Is Stressing Big Time Here!!!

9. Rachel says:

You just made my mouth water! Wow! What a dinner plate! Great job!
    Rachel recently posted..WhiteScience Toothpaste Giveaway!

10. Ohhh this is one of my families faves as well! I haven’t made it in sometime but think I will make it tonight for dinner tonight :)
    Migdalia – @MsLatina recently posted..Wordless Wednesday- Jennifer Hudson LIVE!

11. Maria says:

I grew up on this! My family called it steak guisao. Yummy! Muy rico.

12. alyson says:

great recipe ! I didnt use potatoes and i added vinegar; this also works for chicken; LOVE IT !!!!!

13. jen says:

I recently made this recipe and it was a huge hit! I’ve made it 3 times all ready

14. Hi just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the
    pictures aren’t loading correctly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I’ve tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same outcome.
    Fredericksburg Regional Oral Surgery Center recently posted..Fredericksburg Regional Oral Surgery Center

15. Day says:

This recipe was on pointtttttt . It was deeeeeelish . I’m following your blog now