Like many Freestyle music lovers, freestyle music is my heart and soul. I grew up listening to KTU on the radio and buying cassette tapes so I can listen in the comfort of my apartment back in the 80’s and early 90’s.
Ever since I could remember, I have loved all types of music, specifically any music I can dance my butt off to. I loved Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, Lionel Ritchie, Cyndi Lauper and even a little bit of Rock & Roll but the music that stays in my heart is definitely Freestyle Music.
If you know exactly what I’m talking about then you know I’m referring to singers such as Coro, Lisa-Lisa and The Cult Jam, George Lamond, Lisette Melendez, Debbie Deb, Stevie B, TKA – I can literally go on and on adding more artists.
My memory isn’t exactly the best but the second I listen to freestyle music, I can remember my childhood with just the beat. It takes me back to those days when I was stuck in my bedroom because I couldn’t leave the house, thanks to my very strict Puerto Rican mother. All I did was listen to the songs and clean my room. I think I was one of the few teenagers that had the cleanest rooms because while my friends were out playing double dutch or riding their bikes, I was home in my own little universe making sure my room was spotless. And while I cleaned, I also danced my butt off too pretending I was one of the singers.
Don’t laugh, you know you used to do the same thing. I remember singing Dream Boy/Dream Girl and forcing my sister to sing the male part because I was the “princess”. True story! My sister will forever hate me for that one! LOL
Those were the good ol’ days. Yes, even though I was leashed by my beloved mother.
Last week, I took my love of Freestyle to Twitter and had a conversation with @MCiscart, @NYCPatty and @RachlWhite about our love for Freestyle music and we also reminisced. I found a site where they provide small clips of the song which I will take as a reference when I download some freestyle music for my iPod. Woo Hoo!
Note to self: Must plan a house party will ONLY Freestyle Music.
No other genre makes me feel alive quite like Freestyle. It makes any ordinary day feel like a brand new day. If I’m depressed or just not feeling like myself, Freestyle music takes me to a happy place.
Do you have a happy place?
Below is a video I found on Youtube with many of the songs that I enjoy listening to. These songs get me in the best mood ever! It also helps me clean my house. 😉
And while I was on a search to find my favorites, I found a list of the top 100 Freestyle songs ever made. Get your iPod ready to get your download on!
1. Let the Music Play – Shannon (Top fave!)
2. I Wonder If I Take You Home – Lisa Lisa & The Cult Jam with Full Force (My jam!)
3. When I Hear Music (It Makes Me Dance) – Debbie Deb (Love this!)
4. Don’t Stop the Rock – Freestyle
5. Fantasy Girl – Johnny O.
6. Spring Love (Come Back to Me) – Stevie B. (Top Fave!)
7. Change on Me – Cynthia (Top fave!)
8. Take Me in Your Arms – Lil’ Suzy (Top fave!)
9. Together Forever – Lisette Melendez (My Jam with Dh)
10. Show Me (The Next remix) – The Cover Girls (Top fave!)
11. Come Go with Me – Expose (Love it!)
12. Point of No Return – Expose
13. Fascinated (By Your Love) – Company B
14. Lookout Weekend – Debbie Deb
15. Silent Morning – Noel (Love this!)
16. Bad of the Heart – George Lamond (Top Fave!)
17. Temptation – Corina (Love it!)
18. I’ll Be Loving You – Collage
19. I Can’t Wait – Nu Shooz
20. Please Don’t Go – Nayobe (love it!)
21. I’ll Be All You Ever Need – Trinere
22. Come Into My Arms – Judy Torres (Top fave!)
23. One Way Love – T.K.A.
24.Boy, I’ve Been Told – Sa-Fire
25. I Won’t Stop Loving You – C-Bank feat. Diamond Eyes
26. I Wanna Be the One – Stevie B.
27. Tell it to My Heart – Taylor Dayne (Love it!)
28.Give Me Tonight – Shannon (My jam!)
29. Party Your Body – Stevie B. (top fave!)
30. (You Are My) All N All – Joyce Sims
31. Funky Little Beat – Connie
32. Diamond Girl – Nice & Wild (WooHoo!)
33. Crying Over You – Soave (Love this!)
34. Clave Rocks – Amoretto (Top fave!)
35. Summertime Summertime – Nocera
36. Dreamboy/Dreamgirl – Cynthia and Johnny O. (My FAVE!)
37. Two of Hearts – Stacey Q.
38. No Reason To Cry – Judy Torres
39. Do You Miss Me? – Jocelyn Enriquez
40. Dreaming of Love – Stevie B.
41. Sending All My Love – Linear
42. I Remember What You Like – Jenny Burton
43. Sincerely Yours – Sweet Sensation
44. Baby Talk – Alisha
45. Can You Feel the Beat? – Lisa Lisa & The Cult Jam
46. Set You Free – Planet Soul feat. Nadine Renee
47. Release Me – Angelina
48. In a Dream (My Love) – Jossette
49. Feels So Good (Show Me Your Love) – DJ Juanito w/ Lina Santiago
50. Give Me (A Reason) – Buffy
51. Don’t Take Your Love (Away From Me) – Lydia Lee Love
52. Don’t Make Me Wait – Bomb the Bass feat. Lorraine (love this!)
53. The Mexican – Jellybean feat. Jenny “Janita” Haan
54. It’s Automatic – Freestyle
55. Party Has Begun – Freestyle
56. Catch Me (I’m Falling) – Pretty Poison
57. Take It While It’s Hot – Sweet Sensation (Love it!)
58. If You Leave Me Now – Jaya and Stevie B.
59. Head to Toe – Lisa Lisa & The Cult Jam
60. Say It’s Gonna Rain – Will to Power
61. Don’t Break My Heart – Sa-Fire
62. Maria – T.K.A. (love it!)
63. Let Me Love You For Tonight – Kariya
64. (You’re My One and Only) True Love – Seduction
65. Running (The Nest remix) – Information Society
66. Hungry for Your Love – Hanson & Davis (Top fave!)
67. Dancing on the Fire – Jellybean feat. India
68. Where Are You Tonight? – Coro (Love Coro!)
69. Yo Little Brother – Nolan Thomas
70. For Tonight – Nancy Martinez
71. Jump Back (Set Me Free) – Dhar Braxton
72. Jam the Box – “Pretty Tony” Butler
73. Touch Me (All Night Long) – Wish feat. Fonda Rae
74. Yo No Se – Pajama Party
75. You Don’t Have to Worry – Rhythmcentric
76. I Can’t Live Without You – Angelique
77. Show Me How You Love Me – Elissa
78. Then Came You – T.P.E. feat. Denine (Top fave!)
79. Forever Amo’r – D’Zyre
80. Treasure of My Heart – SF Spanish Fly
81. Can’t We Try – Rockell feat. Collage
82. Love Letter – Giggles (Reminds me of J.H.S.)
83. Sidewalk Talk – Jellybean feat. Madonna
84. If You Should Ever Be Lonely – Val Young
85. Baby Love – Regina
86. On the Upside – Xena
87. Summer Girls – Dino
88. & More – You’ll Never Find Another Love Like Mine (Top fave!)
89. Honey to a Bee – Tina B.
90. Arabian Knights – Latin Rascals
91. Sayin’ Sorry (Don’t Make It Right) – Denise Lopez
92. Who’s Got Your Love? – Nyasia
93. Bleeding Heart – Bardeux
94. Stay in Love – Kromozone Project feat. Mon A Q.
95. Real Love – Lil’ Johanna
96. Why Do You Treat Me Badly? – Leticia
97. Passion – K5 feat. Tammy Wright
98. Never Gonna Let You Go – Tamara
99. Endless Night – Cynthia
100. Highways of Love – Johnny O.